School is officially back in session, and the summer of 2022 is slowly ending. The start of school brings thoughts of autumn leaves and cozy scarfs. That’s right, fall is coming. I am no pumpkin spice connoisseur. But I enjoy a nice warm coffee on a brisk fall day. I feel like the change in the season does something for my brain. It feels almost like a mental reset button is pushed, and I can take a small breath of fresh air. Maybe it is because it isn’t 1000 degrees outside, and I can physically breathe easier. I am not sure if it’s the idea of all the yummy food at Thanksgiving or the idea of cuddling up by our fireplace, but I feel there is something special about the fall. All the thoughts of cooler weather and the seasons changing have my mind thinking about why so many people love the fall season. So, in true (Pickled Proverbs) fashion, I made a list of why I feel everyone loves autumn.
- Cooler weather. I love the summer sun and the heat does wonders for my tired bones, but something about a slight breeze makes my heart happy. This past summer, the heat was brutal. I was halfway convinced I would see Satan himself in cut-off jean shorts walking down Main Street. It was THAT hot. There were also a few nights our family had to sleep without AC. If anything will have you longing for a cool fall breeze, no AC in the dead of summer, sleeping upstairs in an older home will.
- Comfy clothes. I don’t know about you, but stuffing myself into a bathing suit and keeping these legs shaved is just exhausting. You can call me lazy if you would like, but I enjoy less shaving and more layers of clothes. Something about a baggy sweater and a cute pair of boots just puts a smile on my face. And I love a good pair of leggings. Fall is my fashion season. I look my best during that time. It’s true. It is why the hubby and I got married in October. We knew it was the best time for us both. I even asked my husband why he thought everyone seems to love autumn, and his first response was comfy clothes. It’s unanimous.
- Yummy food. Foodies unite. It is our time to get to business. We begin this amazing journey of harvesting perfect veggies, and then we slide into an array of lattes (shout out to the pumpkin spice lovers). We take a slight turn down Turkey Lane, and then we land beautifully in the land of peppermint. The season ends with all the sweet and savory holiday mornings. Forget hot dogs with chili and slaw. Give me all the honey-baked ham and collard greens, please! Let’s also not forget this food journey ends with a pop. Literally, we celebrate the old year and start the new year off with the pop of bubbly champagne. This is one of the best seasons for eating. Danville does food in the fall well. Maybe this is also why I enjoy the baggy clothes because we all know the pounds find a way around our waist, but in my humble opinion; it is worth every bite!
- The gatherings. My family has at least 10 birthdays to celebrate. This means we get to come together often throughout this season. It is busy, but it is fun. Let’s not forget the fire pit s’mores and cornhole. I enjoy hanging out with all my favorite people. This fills up my social cup and brings me joy. I think between the birthday celebrations and all the holidays; it steals my brain away from the grind of working three jobs, paying all the bills, and just being an adult. My hubby said that I had to include football. I agree that gathering to watch a football game is nice. Mainly because I like to laugh at how seriously my husband takes the whole game. So, we can add football to the list.
- Mindset shift. As my dear sister, Monica said, “I think fall is synonymous with comfort. There is just an undercurrent of good, pleasing, comforting things to look forward to.” I think the idea of being comfortable while reflecting on the year resets our brain. It turns my anxious mind from the grind of day-to-day striving and helps me look at the bigger picture. Nothing can reset my brain like looking at last year’s Thanksgiving pictures and seeing my girls get older. Nothing helps me value time more than sitting at the holiday table and looking for those missing loved ones. In the autumn, I turn inward. I focus on all the good that has happened in my life. I believe I am not the only one that does this. During this season of change, I believe it is in our genes to appreciate what we have. Many of us come from a proud line of hardworking farmers whom all took the time to appreciate the harvest. So, while I am a long way away from growing, hunting, or gathering my own food; I think my body knows that it is important to express gratitude during the fall.
I think we can all somewhat agree, autumn is likely the best season. I may not be one of those pumpkin spice latte lovers that squeal with excitement over a $7 coffee, but I enjoy the beauty that comes with the changing of the season. Also, I realize that while you are reading this, it may still be a billion degrees outside. However, I hope you take just a split second to get excited about the fall weather, comfy clothes, and, of course, yummy food.
Don’t forget to follow me for more sweet and sour truths of life and motherhood at www.pickledproverbs.com https://www.facebook.com/pickledproverbs